Thursday 23 August 2012

I'm Flying in the Air~

What day is it? That’s right, today’s the day we left for China. The journey was comprised of a 10hour 40minute flight from London to Hong Kong, a 2hour stopover in Hong Kong to transit, and a 3hour 10minute flight from Hong Kong to Bejing. Considering how I didn’t sleep at all Tuesday night (as I was afraid that I might over sleep and end up at Heathrow airport late, and probably missing the flight or something) I have to say, boy am I knackered.

I left the house in Leytonstone at around 06:00, and surprisingly, arrived at Heathrow and ready at the check-in place to wait for the other two (Tanya and Charlotte) at 07:45. To be honest, I was expecting the tube journey to take about 2hours since I had to lug a 25kg suitcase up and down a number of flights of stairs. Luckily for me, I managed to get some help carrying my suitcase up the Leytonstone Underground Station stairs up to the platform from some random nice man. And also, it seemed I was further lucky as when I got off the Central Line and had to go up some stairs to change to the Piccadilly Line, there was nobody there. Not a soul in sight. Although I did purposefully walk slow behind the rushing Londoners so that I was last to go up the stairs.. But anyway, thanks to that, my efforts to heave my suitcase up the stairs were only witnessed by me. And the camera. But that’s nothing to worry about.

After falling asleep for two hours waiting for my friends to arrive,  I was then treated to some food by Tanya’s mum at one of the Heathrow restaurants. We decided to go to Leon’s after wandering around, unable to decide where to eat. There wasn’t too much choice on the menu – it was either a yoghurt mix, a smoothie, or sandwiches with sausages in. My choice was to go for a yoghurt – strawberries and muesli in greek yoghurt. It was actually pretty good.


The two then bid farewell to their parents and we finally began our trip to China. The first hurdle was customs. And guess who set the alarms off… :/ It didn’t make any sense really – Charlotte walked through with a load of bracelets and bangles on her wrists and there was silence, I walk through with absolutely no metal on me apart from a mere pin in my scarf and off the alarms went. So I had to get searched.

The lady started patting me down but as we all know, I’m quite a ticklish person. When it came to her searching the chest area, I jumped backwards a good few centimetres, which I guess made me look more suspicious than I probably already was. I told the lady I was ticklish though, so she said “brace yourself” and then asked me to lift my top up… o.O Not completely, but she stuck her hands under my top to search around the waist. Ew. In the end though, it was all fine because she couldn’t find anything on me. Not that I did have anything anyway.

As everyone experiences, we then had to wait around in the waiting lounge waiting to be called to the doors so we could board the plane, then wait some more inside the plane until we reached Hong Kong. The time on the plane went by quite well – Cathay Pacific seemed to have a pretty good selection of entertainment. I watched a TV show about magic featuring the famous Chinese magician Lu, a film with Jay Chou and Nicholas Tse in called 'The Viral Factor', some film about a Cantonese band called 'Mister' and the struggles they went through to achieve continuing success as a team, and managed to listen to what I think is probably Jam Hsiao’s best album. Oh, and listened to a bit of Eason Chan too.

No comments:

Post a Comment